THE CHURCH POTLUCK

REAL COMFORT FOOD FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST! NO SISSY STUFF! CHURCH DINNER RECIPES COLLECTED OVER 50 YEARS BY OUR MOM AND US!

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Better Than Sex Cake

In the church cookbook it is simply labeled 'Chocolate or Lemon Dessert', but half the fun's in the name!

I very seldom leave a recipe entirely alone, so I'll give you the original version, and then tell you how I make it:)

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (plus some extra)
1 stick butter
1 cup powdered sugar
8 oz cream cheese, softened
8 oz tub Cool Whip
2 small boxes of pudding (Cook 'n Serve chocolate, or instant lemon)
[Instant chocolate works, but it isn't nearly as good]

Layer 1:
Combine flour, nuts, and butter. Mix and press into ungreased 9x13" pan. Bake at 350 degrees 15 minutes. Cool.

Layer 2:
Cream together powdered sugar and cream cheese. Fold in (actually I just use the mixer) 1 cup Cool Whip. Spread over cooled crust.

Layer 3:
Prepare pudding, using 3 cups of milk. Pour over 2nd layer (chocolate pudding will need to be cooled first--you might want to make it ahead witht the crust).

Layer 4:
Spread the remaining Cool Whip over the top and sprinkle with nuts. Regrigerate.

This makes a very nice dessert, however, I find the crust a little bland. So I substitute an Oreo Cookie crust (recipe to follow) and sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top instead of the nuts. The chocolate crust gives the dessert a little pizzaz! (Note: Oreo crust would probably
notgo well with the lemon, but why would I choose lemon over chocolate?!?)

Oreo Cookie Crust:
2 cups Oreo Cookie crumbs
6 tbls sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened

Mix ingredients with a fork and press into the bottom of the pan. Chill.

Actually, a graham cracker crust works well, too. I use 2-1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 cup sugar, 2/3 cup butter.

This is one of my absolute favorite desserts!

Barb

6 Comments:

  • At 7:32 PM, Blogger greatwhitebear said…

    Steven is shocked, just shocked, that YOU posted a recipe called BETTER THAN SEX CAKE! He was sure that posted by Barb was a mistake!

    I told him he should have known anything called BETTER than sex that didn't involve hockey couldn't have been from me!

     
  • At 8:32 PM, Blogger Great White Bear, said…

    That's okay--Tim would be shocked, too. But somehow, the name just makes the dessert taste better! Besides, who would give a second look to a recipe called 'Chocolate or Lemon Dessert.' Boooooring!!!

     
  • At 9:02 AM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    Your sex cake sounds very much like Sex in a Pan, which always made an appearance at our St. Andrew's/St. George's parish meals. It always used chocolate pudding. I have a recipe for something called Sex by Chocolate, but I've never actually made it and it looks a little to high class for this blog - maybe I'll post it on ReTorte and see if anyone bites. I'll see if I can find the Sex in a Pan recipe, or if my mom has it somewhere.

    GWB: I spoke to my mom over in Jolly Old England last week, and asked her for her Yorkshire Pudding recipe. She says when she gets a minute, she'll try to dig it up, but since becoming single and not having a family to feed, she hasn't made it in years.

     
  • At 11:11 AM, Blogger Great White Bear, said…

    I have a friend, who used to have the recipe for sex by chocolate on her website when she was in college. I long ago lost it, so please, feel free to post it here!

     
  • At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I make mine similiar to yours except I use vanilla pudding and pistachio pudding instead with nuts on top of the cool whip. But I think I will try yours and see which one I like the best, maybe I will like yours best. I enjoy your blog.

     
  • At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi!
    I needed a recipe for a church pot-luck tommorrow and found this blog.
    WHAT A FUN SIGHT TO EXPLORE! Your comments are cheerful and fun: I don't usually look forward to making church pot-luck desserts. I'm going to make the Better Than Sex Cake, and I feel cheerful about cooking for once.
    Thanks for the info, I'll be back I'm sure.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home