THE CHURCH POTLUCK

REAL COMFORT FOOD FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST! NO SISSY STUFF! CHURCH DINNER RECIPES COLLECTED OVER 50 YEARS BY OUR MOM AND US!

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Apple Torte with Caramel Sauce

Hi! I'm so depressed that fall is creeping in so close. I know it is though, because the mice are moving inside (good thing I have cats!) and I was just attacked by the first Asian Lady Beetle of the year. On the bright side, fall does bring with it fresh apples. This is a very nice recipe that I was first served at a Ladies' Group at a church in Port Huron.

Cream:
1/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar

Add:
1 beaten egg
2 cups diced apples
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Bake in greased 8" square pan 45 min at 350 degrees.

Caramel Sauce:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coffee cream
1 tsp vanilla

Combine ingredients in pan. Boil 1 to 2 minutes. Serve warm over torte.

Barb

6 Comments:

  • At 7:41 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    This looks great.

    You don't like fall? It's my favourite season...

     
  • At 7:47 PM, Blogger greatwhitebear said…

    Can't speak for Barb, but fall depresses me because it's a precursor to winter!

     
  • At 11:44 PM, Blogger Great White Bear, said…

    Actually, I love fall. It's just that I really enjoyed my summer this year and would have like it to last a little longer.

    Barb

     
  • At 5:09 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    Fall always feels like such a breath of fresh air for me, particularly after a super hot summer in the East. Where I'm living now, it was hot but dry. The fall here is very crisp and fresh, but lacks the colour I loved so much in Ottawa.

     
  • At 8:54 AM, Blogger prairie girl said…

    I was thrilled to log on this morning and find apple recipes. I am headed to the orchard this week and always want something new to try when I return home! Thanks for the great new recipes!!!

    I love fall and this summer we built a giant deck so now that it is cooling off I am serving most of our suppers al fresco. This is the time of year when I feel revived and want to pull out cookbooks and try new things.

    I also discovered how wonderful my giant roasting pan can while all our kids and grandkids were home for a week in August. I can't wait to have a whole bunch of folks over for chili on the deck, the night crispy and the stars twinkling above us!

     
  • At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That sounds like a great plan!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home