THE CHURCH POTLUCK

REAL COMFORT FOOD FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST! NO SISSY STUFF! CHURCH DINNER RECIPES COLLECTED OVER 50 YEARS BY OUR MOM AND US!

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Ice Cream Topping

The original recipe for this came from the Detroit Free Press and is supposed to be an imitation of Sanders' Hot Fudge. It is very rich and absolutely delicious--here is my version:

Bring to boil in 2 quart saucepan:

2 sticks butter
1 cup simple syrup (fill a jar a little more than 3/4's full with sugar and then fill to within about an inch of the top with warm water. Shake well and let sit until sugar is dissolved.)
12 oz. Nestle's milk chocolate chips (actually I think they now come in 11 oz bags--still works)

Add one can sweetened condensed milk and return just to boil.

Done! Serve warm:)

Variations: try using semi-sweet chocolate chips (my favorite), Butterscotch chips (best to use Nestle's--they melt the smoothest), or Reese's Peanut Butter chips. Ummm...they're all good!

Makes about 5 cups.

Barb

11 Comments:

  • At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh..Steven will be excited to see this one!

     
  • At 11:18 AM, Blogger prairie girl said…

    I just discovered your blog and shall be eternally grateful!

    Thanks,
    Karen

     
  • At 4:58 PM, Blogger Great White Bear, said…

    Your welcome! Thanks for checking us out!!

    Barb

     
  • At 5:59 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    This sounds like 5 more pounds on my behind, but I HAVE to try this!

     
  • At 6:57 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    Whoa! Looks like a spammer has invaded your site, too.

    Anyhoo, this looks like the most decadent recipe ever! I'd better get my ice cream maker back from my friend...

     
  • At 9:52 PM, Blogger Great White Bear, said…

    ah.. we need to find a different name for this rude form of advertising. As someone who is partial to spiced, formed ham and pork by product, this is definately an insult to those fine people at Hormel (or is that Armour?).

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    A fellow SPAM lover; and you're willing to go public with it! COOL!

     
  • At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yeah, my favorite camping sandwich is fried egg and spam with muenster cheese and Gulden's spicy brown mustard.

     
  • At 6:20 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    Spam and lettuce on DRY toast for me! This is weird because I love mayo on all my other sandwiches.
    I can't take Spam camping as my guys don't like it. SME and I love it! She can't buy it in Edmonton, so I always send a can or 2 home with her.

     
  • At 10:05 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    You guys ever see that Monty Python skit about spam? Too funny...

     
  • At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love THAT. Of course, I love almost anything MP ever did!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home