THE CHURCH POTLUCK

REAL COMFORT FOOD FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST! NO SISSY STUFF! CHURCH DINNER RECIPES COLLECTED OVER 50 YEARS BY OUR MOM AND US!

Friday, August 19, 2005

Mexican Salad

This is a do-it-yourself, layered salad. It's Katie's favorite--she always requests it for her birthday dinner (and so, usually, does Krista)!

Salad Ingredients:
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Green Pepper
Onion
Cheese
Ranch Dressing
Fritoes

Meat Mixture:
1 lb ground beef
(1) 15 oz can tomato sauce
1/3 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 package taco seasoning mix (I usually use Ortega)

Brown ground beef and add remaining ingredients. Simmer until mixture cooks down and thickens. Serve warm.

Okay, so here's the plan: On your plate layer Fritoes, then lettuce, then meat, then cheese. Top with desired veggies and Ranch dressing. Enjoy!

Barb

6 Comments:

  • At 6:46 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    Yum! My mom used to make something similar to this called tossed tostada salad. I'll have to revisit that recipe.

     
  • At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    this recipe really didn't appeal to me, till I tried it on our camping trip. It really was excellent!

     
  • At 8:17 PM, Blogger dbackdad said…

    Sounds great to me. Our long-rumored, much anticipated camping trip is FINALLY happening next weekend (with my folks) at a lake near Williams, AZ. I'm going to use several of your recipes up there.

     
  • At 2:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    good luck!

     
  • At 12:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've never used brown sugar in the meat before.
    Here another twist. Instead of Ranch dressing, try using Catalina that has been spiked with tabasco.
    I guess this is the sweet I'm used to instead of the brown sugar in the meat.

     
  • At 9:05 PM, Blogger Eilish99 said…

    This is really THE original Taco Salad. Ages before they became popular in restaurants we were making them this way at home. Of course, in place of tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar we used salsa and maybe a few dashes of Tabasco.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home