THE CHURCH POTLUCK

REAL COMFORT FOOD FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST! NO SISSY STUFF! CHURCH DINNER RECIPES COLLECTED OVER 50 YEARS BY OUR MOM AND US!

Friday, February 24, 2006

CAJUN STUFFED PEPPERS

I came across this recipe many years ago, in the Ft. Wayne Journal/Gazette. It comes from a feature where the recipes are drawn in cartoon form, titled CHEAP THRILLS CUISINE! The recipes come from Windsor/Toronto chef Bill Lombardo. Any how, I really love these. They are pretty low fat and really tasty! I have altered the recipe a bit (I always do), but it is pretty close to the original.


CAJUN STUFFED PEPPERS

1/4 cp Red Onion, finely diced
1/4 cp Red Bell Pepper, finely diced
1 Celery rib, finely diced
1/3 lb Smoked Sausage or Smoked Andoulle Sausage, diced small
2 tsp Cajun Seasoning
1 tsp Fennel Seed, crushed
1 cp cooked Long Grain White Rice
1 lb Ground Round, browned and crumbled
1 Egg
1/4 cp Corn (I use frozen, but canned or left over will do)
1/4 cp unseasoned Bread Crumbs
6 Bell Peppers, tops cut off and seeded (I prefer green)
1 14oz can Diced Tomatoes
3 Tbl Salsa (chose you own heat)

In a heavy skillet, saute first six ingredients in one Tbl of oil for 5 min. Combine with next 5 ingredients. Stuff peppers to overflowing. Combine tomatoes and salsa. Pour over stuffed peppers. Bake, covered,* 1 hour at 350F.

* I use a small porcelain roaster, but a large casserole or small (not cast iron) Dutch Oven will work just fine too!






4 Comments:

  • At 9:10 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    Ah-ha! You're back - excellent! I was starting to get worried.

     
  • At 5:04 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    I haven't made stuffed peppers in a long time. My filling was a bit bland, so I'll try yours.

     
  • At 2:53 AM, Blogger dbackdad said…

    It's about time that you were posting recipes! This one sounds great. I'm all over it.

     
  • At 12:10 AM, Blogger mister anchovy said…

    these look really good!...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home