THE CHURCH POTLUCK

REAL COMFORT FOOD FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST! NO SISSY STUFF! CHURCH DINNER RECIPES COLLECTED OVER 50 YEARS BY OUR MOM AND US!

Thursday, November 10, 2005

BILL KNAPP'S ORANGE NUT BREAD

Before they closed their doors in 2002, Bill Knapp's Restaurants were a 54 year tradition in Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana. They were famous for their Birthday celebrations (you got 1 % off your bill for every year you lived!), their fabulous cakes, out of this world biscuits, au gratin potatoes, and good honest home cooking. They had the best fried chicken I have ever had anywhere. Mom and Dad loved the steaks. The ex and my daughter always got the Chicken Fricassee or the meatloaf. They had a very loyal clientele, and when they finally closed the doors on their last 26 restaurants in 2002, there were legions of disappointed people. My son and daughter-in -law still talk about how much they miss Knapps.

Awrey Bakery in Detroit still makes the cakes and markets them under the Bill Knapp's name. They are available at Meijer stores.

The following recipe is for my Dad's favorite:

Bill Knapp"s ORANGE NUT BREAD

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup boiling water
2 tablespoons grated orange rind
1/3 cup orange juice
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Grease an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pan.
Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Melt butter in boiling water. Add orange rind, orange juice, sugar,
vanilla and beaten egg and blend.
Sift dry ingredients over orange mixture. Add nuts.
Stir just until flour is damp. Batter will be lumpy.
Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

posted by Mark

8 Comments:

  • At 12:55 PM, Blogger Effie said…

    Now I want to go to that restaurant--too bad they closed!

    This looks like a good recipe!

     
  • At 2:52 PM, Blogger prairie girl said…

    Knapp's and Schuler's....my husband has memories of his grandparents taking him there as a kid growing up in northern Indiana and Michigan! I still have come of the Schuler's cheese crocks that I use for candles!

     
  • At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Barb's family and mine usually get together at Win Shuler's to celebrate Christmas. We like it there a lot!

     
  • At 8:05 PM, Blogger Laura said…

    MMmmm... I love quick bread recipies.

     
  • At 11:38 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    This looks like something that I can do at work. Thanks! You know how I love citrus, too...

     
  • At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would like to copy some of your blogs to my blog. Will that be okay? I tried to email you, but it had a problem sending to you.

     
  • At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Unless my sister has objections, I have no problem with it at all. I'd love it if you would post your url so we can check out your site!

     
  • At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I loved Bill Knapp. The man, not the restaurant.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home