THE CHURCH POTLUCK

REAL COMFORT FOOD FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST! NO SISSY STUFF! CHURCH DINNER RECIPES COLLECTED OVER 50 YEARS BY OUR MOM AND US!

Saturday, February 23, 2013

BBQ (Sloppy Joes)

I finally found it!  Been looking for it for years.  Been making it they way I thought Mom made it, but it never came out quite right.  Then, while looking for something else all together, it fell out from between the pages of a cookbook.  Hand written in mom's handwriting, tomato sauce stained.  THE recipe card.  This is a recipe with so much family history behind it.  It was a favorite when I was a little kid.  After my dad died, the kids and I tried to visit my mom every 6 weeks. We'd leave after school.  When we arrived in Pontiac about 9, there would always be a skillet of bbq, along with Father Sam's pitas, and freshly baked Toll House cookie bars.

My son Steven as been asking me about this recipe for a while now.  So here it is, along with the missing secret ingredient.


GRANDMA SPURRIER'S BBQ
2 lbs Ground Chuck
1 average Onion, chopped
1 - 15 oz can Tomato Sauce
1/3 cp light Brown Sugar, firmly packed
1/4 tsp ground Cayenne
1/8 tsp ground Clove
Break up and brown Ground Chuck on medium low (about 300 on electric skillet) until most of pink disappears. Stir in onions, and cook until they are clear. Add remaining ingredients and simmer over low heat for about an hour (highest point of simmer on electric skillet). Adjust spices to taste.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home