THE CHURCH POTLUCK

REAL COMFORT FOOD FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST! NO SISSY STUFF! CHURCH DINNER RECIPES COLLECTED OVER 50 YEARS BY OUR MOM AND US!

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Hamburger/Potato Casserole

Okay, here's one that's unbelievably easy--and yet has lots of flavor!

Ingredients:
1.5 lbs Ground Chuck
Potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
1/2 small onion, minced
salt
pepper
butter

Sprinkle salt and pepper on the bottom of a 2 quart (or so) casserole dish, and then press in the Ground Chuck, patting down well into the bottom of the dish. Salt and pepper again, and sprinkle with minced onion. Add a layer of potatoes, a little salt/pepper, a layer of potatoes...until dish is full. Dot with butter, cover, and bake at 350 degrees about 1.5 hours.

Barb

9 Comments:

  • At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was just thinking about this....mom used to make this a lot when we were kids....it was one of Dad's favorites

     
  • At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    note to wc and isabella...this receipe CAN'T be improved on...it is simplicity at it's best. You can make it different, but nothing will be the same!

     
  • At 8:27 AM, Blogger Isabella di Pesto said…

    Could I talk you into adding one teensy weensy garlic clove?

     
  • At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    this is one of those ultimate comfort food recipes. When I was small and money was tight, we ate this about once a week. If I add to it, it won't taste like my childhood,

    besides, dad hated garlic!

     
  • At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have to agree with Mark--I can't think of a single thing that would improve this. Even Tim likes it, and he's about as picky as they come:)

    I like to have leftovers and chop it up and fry it butter like hash (even then, I don't add anything--I love it just the way it is).

     
  • At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So you put the hamburger in the bottom raw?

     
  • At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yes, the burger goes in raw!

    mark

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Ann Rogers said…

    About how many potatoes?? 4 or 5?

    Ann

     
  • At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Mark said…

    I would guess that to be about right. Since my nest is empty now, I seldom make casseroles. Been a long time since I've made this. Might have to make it this weekend, though. The Power of suggestion!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home