THE CHURCH POTLUCK

REAL COMFORT FOOD FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST! NO SISSY STUFF! CHURCH DINNER RECIPES COLLECTED OVER 50 YEARS BY OUR MOM AND US!

Saturday, June 11, 2005

PULLED PORK BBQ

In keeping with today's theme on my blog, I thought I'd post some recipes dealing with outdoor cooking for a crowd. The instructions are for cooking on a 27" Weber Kettle, but these can easily be adapted to use with a smoker. Need help, let me know!

First, a word about the sauce. I have tried a myriad of different sauce recipes, some highly successful, some not so much. But the truth is, there are so many really great sauces on the market, it seems foolish to go to the trouble of making your own. So, my sauce for pork and chicken: 2 bottles Rasta Joe's BBQ sauce (mild) + 1 bottle Hunt's Hickory and Brown Sugar BBQ sauce + 1 bottle Heinz 57 sauce + just enough water to rinse the bottles.

The day before you are going to make your Q, prepare a whole pork shoulder* (uncured picnic ham) by cutting off the rind and excess fat. Rub down with a good BBQ rub (I like KC Masterpiece), place in a plastic bag (I use an oven bag), secure tightly, and refrigerate about 24 hours, or up to three days.

Soak 2 cps wood chips (hickory, white oak, or any fruit wood work well with pork) in water for a couple of hours. Drain. Place 1 cp wood chips on each of 2 squares of foil, and fold into tight packets. Pierce the top of each packet once with a fork.

Place a large drip pan in the middle of the coal grate of your Kettle. I usually use a disposable foil roasting pan with the edges turned up. On each side of the pan, place 28 coals. Light them and let them burn till they are mostly covered with ash, about 30 min. Place a foil packet on each bed of coals.

Place cooking grate on kettle so that handles are centered above the coals (this is important!) Center pork shoulder(s)** over drip pan. Cover and cook about 4 hours (or till internal temp hits 165), adding 9 coals to each side every hour. When done, remove to a rack to cool slightly.

Pour sauces into a large, heavy pot. Using heavy rubber gloves (like Bluettes), shred the meat with the grain and into the sauce. Simmer BBQ on stove top about half our or so, or until sauce starts to thicken. Serve on good bakery buns (I prefer Onion Rolls or Kaisers). A 10lb. pork shoulder makes about 15-20 large sandwiches.

* equal poundage of Boston Butt Roast works just as well.
**with care, you can get as many as three shoulders on at once

Mark

4 Comments:

  • At 9:57 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    I had BBQ in Alabama last year. The sauce was mustard-based and absolutely fantastic. Apparently, it's different for every region. I had BBQ chicken because the pork butts didn't look appetizing and I wasn't sure I'd like the sauce. The place actually advertised itself as having the "best butts in Alabama". The people were so friendly and happy to have such exotic tourists from Canada. They also had the best potato salad I've ever had, and the best iced tea, too!

    Your recipe here sounds so amazing! I'll have to see if I can get Richard (who has the most amazing stainless steel BBQ I've ever seen) would like to try this sometime this summer.

     
  • At 11:10 PM, Blogger greatwhitebear said…

    I love the mustard sauce bbq! Unfortunately, the few commercial ones I've found aren't very good, and I've yet to find a good recipe. The best one I've ever had was at the Flat Iron Grill in Columbus OH (we were there for a Red Wings game). The stuff was so hot tht son #2 had sweat pouring off his face, an embarrassment since he was trying to impress the waitress, a buxom, exotic looking Philipino/Ohio State student!

     
  • At 8:14 PM, Blogger mister anchovy said…

    I'm making some pulled pork tonight....we have some folks coming over tomorrow...we'll grill some hamburgers and stuff for the kids, but I'll pull out the pulled pork for the heavy duty bbq fans

     
  • At 8:16 PM, Blogger greatwhitebear said…

    Let me know how it turns out!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home