THE CHURCH POTLUCK

REAL COMFORT FOOD FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST! NO SISSY STUFF! CHURCH DINNER RECIPES COLLECTED OVER 50 YEARS BY OUR MOM AND US!

Thursday, June 23, 2005

BEER BUTT TURKEY

I offer this as a continuing part of our outdoor cooking for a crowd theme:

Since Dad passed away on the last day of 1989, Barb's husband Tim has been the champion turkey griller in the family. I have done some really kick hinder grilled turkeys, but none somehow quite as good as Tim's. Till this year. At least, that's what my son Steven says. The great thing about this method of cooking turkey is that the white meat stays wonderfully moist! And cooking times are reduced about 25%. Try this, I GUARANTEE you'll love it!

You'll need:

1 Turkey, thawed
commercial Poultry Seasoning
1 Foster' Oil Can (24oz or 32oz)
Squeeze Parkay

24-48 hours before grilling, prepare turkey by removing giblets and washing thoroughly inside and out. Pat dry (inside and out). Cut off "Parson's Nose" (that triangular piece of fatty flesh at the turkey's butt. Rub a generous amount of poultry seasoning into skin and cavity of bird. Cover (I use oven roasting bag). Refrigerate.

Prepare Kettle as described in PULLED PORK BBQ.*

Remove half the contents of the Foster's can (I know how I would go about this, but you use your own judgment). Center turkey over the drip pan. With the keyhole side facing UP, slide the Foster's can into the birds cavity so about half the can is left exposed. Cover grill. After every hour, add 9 coals to each side and brush the bird with Squeeze Parkay. Cooking time is about 12-15 min per pound.

* always use charcoal briquets made from real wood like Kingsford (hickory) or Royal Oak (white oak). Most cheaper brands like Great Lakes or your store brands are made of pressed carbon. The flavor they impart in your food is entirely different than that of the wood based coals.

10 Comments:

  • At 7:51 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    What is squeeze parkay?

    My jellied salad pics from the Anglican pot luck last Sunday are on Flickr and can be viewed publicly (along with all my other pics, of which there are a few you may have seen on my blog and a few that I haven't posted there yet.

     
  • At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Squeeze Parkay is a semi solid margarine that you squeeze from the bottle, even refrigerated. It is available in the dairy case at your supermarket (and I've seen this at Dominion, so I know it's available in Canada)

     
  • At 7:59 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    Hmmmm...I tend to ignore the margarine selection at the grocery store. Can you use unsalted butter instead?

     
  • At 8:21 PM, Blogger Isabella di Pesto said…

    I've cooked pork butt, but never a turkey butt. Is it possible? I mean do turkeys have sizeable butts? I know they have sizeable breasts. Butts?

     
  • At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wc- you can use butter, salted or not. Squeeze Parkey is just a lot easier and less messy.

    Isabella (ahem).... I believe it's called Beer Butt Turkey because you shove a can of beer up it's butt, butt I'll bet you knew that, didn't you?

     
  • At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    have i mentioned yet how jealous i am that you have a backyard kitchen?

     
  • At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ann- no reason to be jealous. My entire backyard kitchen cost me less than $200 to put together. The 3 burner stainless steel stove w/broiler, $49.95 at Harbor Freight. The 7 in 1 Brinkman lp grill, smoker, turkey and fish fryer, $59.99 end of season at Dick's Sporting Goods. 2 30lb LP tanks w/regulators, $60 at local industrial gas supplier. Webber Kettle: salvaged from river after huge storm.

    The best thing is, when I want to go camping, i just throw the stuff in the trusty S-10 pickup, and away I go.

     
  • At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    sounds great!!! brilliant. the Husband and i have a tiny urban garden. however, we do have a grill.

    i didn't buy the salton yogurt maker, mostly because i was interested in a yogurt maker that had individual jars. i need serving sizes! however, the salton yogurt maker seemed to be the most recommended...

     
  • At 11:02 PM, Blogger Isabella di Pesto said…

    Isabella is blushing. Shove a can up its butt? Isabella has to admit she did NOT know that. But she is intrigued. VERY intrigued.

     
  • At 11:18 PM, Blogger Laura said…

    The larger fare counterpart to beer can chicken... interesting.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home