THE CHURCH POTLUCK

REAL COMFORT FOOD FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST! NO SISSY STUFF! CHURCH DINNER RECIPES COLLECTED OVER 50 YEARS BY OUR MOM AND US!

Monday, June 06, 2005

Chocolate Sheet Cake

As requested by Big Brother, this is the sheet cake recipe Mom used. It is similar to 'Texas Sheet Cake', but uses buttermilk instead of sour cream.

CAKE

Mix in large bowl and set aside:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar

Combine in saucepan:
1 stick butter
4 tbls cocoa (Mom used 6)
1/2 cup Crisco (Mom would have eliminated the butter and used all Crisco)
1 cup water
Bring to boil, stirring well, and pour over sugar and flour.

Add:
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk with 1 tsp soda
Mix well--it will be thin.

Pour onto large, greased cookie sheet. Bake 20 minutes at 400 degrees.

FROSTING:

(Start 5 minutes before cake is done)

In saucepan combine:
1/3 cup milk
1 stick butter
4 tbls cocoa (very generous)
Bring to boil and remove from heat.

Add:
1 lb powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Spread over hot cake as it comes from the oven.

In the eleven years Tim and I have been back in this church, I don't think there's been a single potluck (and we have many!) where this cake has not shown up!

Barb

8 Comments:

  • At 3:40 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    This is the same recipe that we use at the restaurant where I work. My boss got it out of one of her mother's old church cookbooks. I'd hate to tell you how many of these I've stirred up over the last 25 yrs!
    BTW, I've NEVER had this cake fail!

     
  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger Isabella di Pesto said…

    We're having a family reunion at the end of the month in Maine, and this looks like a perfect dessert to bring.

    Some questions: Can I use all butter or would that change the texture if I don't use the combination of butter and vegetable shortening?

    When you say use a cookie sheet, do you mean a jelly rool pan with sides?

     
  • At 5:34 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    Yes, you can use all butter, and yes, this recipe fits a standard jelly roll pan.

     
  • At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm glad tshsmom knew that, otherwise i woulda been calling my sister for the second time today.

    I need to check with my ex mother in law...i believe she always added a touch of cinnamon to this.

     
  • At 9:07 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    Find out how much? Sounds like a neat variation!

     
  • At 7:50 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    I always called them cookie sheets too, until I started working in a restaurant. Must be midwestern. LOL

     
  • At 8:50 AM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    How much is a stick of butter? 1/2 a cup? I may make this at The Centre this summer.

     
  • At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yes, 1 stick = 1/2 cp

     

Post a Comment

<< Home