THE CHURCH POTLUCK

REAL COMFORT FOOD FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST! NO SISSY STUFF! CHURCH DINNER RECIPES COLLECTED OVER 50 YEARS BY OUR MOM AND US!

Friday, March 03, 2006

CAJUN BEANS AND RICE

This is one of my favorite meals! It is relatively easy to prepare and really tasty. It is especially good on a winters evening after sledding with the kids. It is also a great camping meal!

There are any numbers of variations on this meal. Instead of ham, I will sometimes use 1 1/2 lbs Pork Steak, boned, trimmed, cut into half inch cubes, and browned. I'll add an extra hock when I do this. Sometimes I'll use a pound of ground Pork, browned and crumbled. Sometimes I'll use smoked sausage instead of ham. Any way, this meal is always great.

CAJUN BEANS AND RICE

3 Tbls
Oil
1 med
Onion, chopped
1 bunch
Green Onions, chopped, including tops
2 cloves
Garlic, minced
2 ribs
Celery, sliced
1/2 and average
Green Bell Pepper, chopped
1 tsp
Salt
1/2 tsp
Black Pepper
1/4 tsp
Basil
1/4 tsp
Thyme
1 lg
Bay Leaf
1 48 oz jar
Pinto Beans*
2 14oz cans
Chicken Broth
3 cps
Ham, diced
1
smoked Pork Hock
4 cups
water
1 Tbls
Butter
1 1/2 tsp
Salt
2 cps
Long Grain White Rice

In a large heavy pot, saute vegetables in oil until soft. Add all remaining ingredients except water, butter,salt, and rice. Simmer 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. With a fork, smash 20 or so beans against the side of the pot to thicken broth, stir, simmer 10 more minutes. Remove Pork hock and discard.

Meanwhile, about 10 minutes after Beans have started simmering, place water, butter, and salt in a large, heavy sauce pan (one with a tight fitting lid) and bring to a boil. Add rice. Return to boil, stirring. Reduce heat to slow boil, and cover. Cook 15 min. Do not stir. Do not peek! Remove Rice from stove, and let sit 10 minutes. Again, do not stir, do not peek! Fluff rice with a fork.

To serve: Spoon a mound of rice into the middle of a large soup bowl or plate. Ladle beans around the rice. Serves 6 - 8.

* You may use Red Beans instead, but I think this recipe is more flavorfull using Pinto Beans.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:54 PM, Blogger Effie said…

    OH my goodness--I made something VERY similar to that last night without the aid of your recipe--I used ham and onions and beans and then some green beans for colour and some curry rather than cajun spices--so yummy!

     
  • At 11:59 PM, Blogger iwant said…

    Looks interesting. I may try this sometime. I found your blog from another. I'm going to link your blog to mine, hope you don't mind. It's a good way for me to remember to pop back and see the latest recipe. Think it's time I put another one on my blog too :-)

     
  • At 6:08 PM, Blogger mister anchovy said…

    I'll take a plate of that thanks, with a cold beer

     

Post a Comment

<< Home