THE CHURCH POTLUCK

REAL COMFORT FOOD FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST! NO SISSY STUFF! CHURCH DINNER RECIPES COLLECTED OVER 50 YEARS BY OUR MOM AND US!

Saturday, March 25, 2006

ROAST CHICKEN - Cajun Style

I am not sure where I first came across this recipe. It has been a favorite of my family for many years. It is guaranteed to make a chicken that is moist , sticky, and just will force you to succumb to the temptation to lick your fingers.




ROAST CHICKEN - Cajun style
feeds 2 -4

for each whole broiler/fryer you will need:
2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Paprika
3/4 tsp Cayenne
1/2 tsp Thyme
1/4 tsp Garlic powder
1/4 tsp White Pepper
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1 lg Yellow Onion (chopped fine)
1 rib Celery (chopped fine)

Combine spices in small bowl. Rub mixture into chicken inside and out, making sure the spices are evenly distributed and rubbed into pores. Seal in a Ziplock bag and refrigerate for 24 hours. Stuff loosely with onion and celery and bake, uncovered, for 4 hours at 250F (three hours unstuffed), basting occasionally.

This recipe also works well with large roasting Chickens. Simply double the ingredients, and bake 4 1/2 to 5 hours. Let sit 10 minutes at room temperature and carve. I like to defat the pan juices, heat them, and pour over the white meat slices.

For Cajun Gravy:
Deglaze the pan with a splash of water. Pour into a large measuring measuring cup. Dissolve 2 tsp of instant Chicken bouillon in the pan water, then add enough whole Milk to equal 2 cups. Over medium heat, melt 2 Tbls Butter or Butter flavored Crisco. Stir in 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning (see above spice mixture), and 3 Tbls Flour, and cook until mixture takes on peanut butter consistency. Whisk in milk mixture and heat until thickened.


2 Comments:

  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    Usually when I see cajun I cringe because all my experiences of cajun have been to spicey for my palate. But this seasoning mix looks OK and I can control the amount of cayenne I put in it, which is preferable to me than buying a premade cajun spice blend.

     
  • At 11:39 PM, Blogger RC said…

    That looks delicious...will you mail one of those suculent birds to my house...

    finger lickin' good.

    umm...can I come to church with you.

    --RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home