THE CHURCH POTLUCK

REAL COMFORT FOOD FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST! NO SISSY STUFF! CHURCH DINNER RECIPES COLLECTED OVER 50 YEARS BY OUR MOM AND US!

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

One Pot Spaghetti

This is one of my family's favorites. I also have a crockpot version, if anyone is interested:)

In 3 quart pot on stove, or in electric frying pan, mix together and brown:
1-1.5 lbs ground beef
1 small onion, chopped or 2 tbls instant minced onion
1 tsp salt
1 clove garlic, pressed
1.5 tsp oregano
1 tsp chili powder

Add:
(1) 6 oz can tomato paste
2.5 cups tomato juice
3.5 cups water
2 tbls or so brown sugar

Bring to boil and simmer 20-30 minutes. Add 8 oz spaghetti and cook until spaghetti is tender and sauce is thick (about 20 minutes).

Barb

4 Comments:

  • At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Barb, I'm interested! And i'm sure the kids are, or will be when they read this post. Steven and Sarah are really into adding new recipes to their repetoire!

     
  • At 8:46 PM, Blogger Isabella di Pesto said…

    I know, I know. This is comfort food for those who are hopelessly midwestern. No problem.

    But my Nona Rizzo would hit me upside the head with a wet spaghetti noodle if I ever dared to make this.

    The only other person I knew who made spaghetti sauce with tomato juice was a woman I knew who was born and raised in Cincinnati.

    I have to admit, I was intrigued by the concept.

     
  • At 11:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know, I think the original recipe may have called for canned tomatoes, rather than juice. I substituted the juice 'cause no one in my family likes tomato chunks. Sorry--no Italian blood here; mostly English, which probably explains alot! I did however, substitute fresh garlic for the garlic salt the original recipe called for. Does that make a little bit of a trade-off?

     
  • At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Barb, Steven says he's makin your spaghetti this week!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home