THE CHURCH POTLUCK

REAL COMFORT FOOD FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST! NO SISSY STUFF! CHURCH DINNER RECIPES COLLECTED OVER 50 YEARS BY OUR MOM AND US!

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

RECIPES FROM THE READERSHIP

These recipes were posted by visitors in our comment section:

Jessicarabbit is one of my favorite people in the blogesphere! She is smart, funny, irreverent, has a boyfriend who bears a remarkable resemblance to “The Count” on Sesame Street, and tends to post photos that prove she retired from stripping on her own terms. She posted this recipe in comments on our very first post. It has been tested, met with great approval, so I now offer it to you!

from JR:

CHEESY TATERS

I have a super easy dish, lots of people know it, I'm sure, but I always get asked to make it to bring to family events and people really like it,

1 bag frozen hashbrown potatoes, cubes
2 cups shredded cheese, a mix of white and yellow works well but it can be any kind you really like
1 can cream of potato soup
1 medium sized container sour cream
A few tablespoons of parmesan

Mix everything except the parmesan up in a bowl, spray some non stick spray into a baking dish, toss the whole mixed up mess in, sprinkle the parmesan on top and bake at about 450 until the top is nice and golden bubbly.

Its really yummy and really simple, but takes about an hour to an hour and a half depending on how big a pan you use and how thick you spread the potatoes out. Yes I know, I'm not very specific and half my words are spelled wrong, its late. But it really is quite tasty and so simple that exact measurements aren't really needed.

Marks note: My son and his girlfriend tried this one the other day and REALLY liked it!


Tshsmom is a Minnesotan, and if there are two things Minnesotans know, it's potlucks and hotdish!

TATER TOT HOTDISH

2 lb pkg tater tots
1 can cr of mushroom soup
1 can cr of celery soup
1 lb ground beef or turkey
Press burger in bottom of 9x13 cake pan.
Sprinkle with onion salt
Lay tater tots side by side and end to end on top of burger.
Mix soups together and spread on top of tater tots.
Bake@375 for 45-60 minutes or until top is glazed and golden brown.
You can also put a layer of Velveeta or American cheese between the burger and tater tot layers.


Wandering Coyote is a Pastry Chef from Vancouver BC. She assures me the following recipe is a staple of United Church carry ins, although she apparently hasn't had the courage to try it!

TOMATO ASPIC

4 cups tomato juice
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon lemon rind
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
3 envelops unflavored gelatin
3/4 cup water
1 cup diced celery
In a large saucepan, heat tomato juice and chicken stock until hot. Stir in lemon rind, Worcestershire sauce and salt.
In a small bowl, combine gelatin with water. Set for 5 minutes. Stir in hot tomato mixture. Add celery.
Pour into ring mold or individual decorative molds.
Refrigerate to set. Dip mold in hot water for a few seconds. Unmold on platter or plates.

You can add other veggies aside from celery. Apparently this is great diet food, but quite frankly the whole thing sounds gross. United Church ladies love it, though!

15 Comments:

  • At 7:58 AM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    Thank you, thank you...The United Church Ladies (UCL) will be so thrilled. I never saw this at our Anglican dinners - thank God! They had Lime jello salads with pineapple instead! And ambrosia - that orange fluffy stuff with the mini marshmallows. Are you familiar with this? I'll see if I can dig up a recipe.

     
  • At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ambrosia! I had forgotten about that because I never cared much for it, but as I recall my ex loved the stuff!

     
  • At 6:07 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    How about a recipe for the most popular of ALL pot luck dishes: BAKED BEANS!

     
  • At 1:06 AM, Blogger greatwhitebear said…

    I just realized, if you replace the gelatin and water with booze, you have a darned good bloody mary here!

     
  • At 8:11 AM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    I never thought of that, Mark, but you'r absolutely right. Imagine serving that at a church potluck...think of the possibilities...

     
  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger greatwhitebear said…

    WC - I have attended a few cpl's that would definately have been improved, or at least made more bearable, if this had been served.

    tshsmom- coming this weekend....skillet beans!

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    Perfect!

     
  • At 12:27 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    When we "camp" at our friend's lake place, Kaye always supplies the Cheesy Potatoes for our breakfast potlucks. Her daughter usually brings fruit and I supply a meat and cheese tray. Voila, a painless breakfast for a big crew!

     
  • At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have tried so hard to get away from the big camp breakfast. But everytime I try, I get greeted with such cries of profound dissapointment I always relent. Seems my crew believes it's just not camping if you don't have bacon, sausage, eggs, hash browns, and either pancakes or french toast *sigh*!

     
  • At 5:01 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    We just started doing this type of breakfast a couple of years ago. Our crew just got too big and one or two people were always slaving over the stove. We're still getting a few complaints, but they're learning to deal with it.

     
  • At 5:04 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    BTW, the first time we tried this, it was yogurt and muffins. Needless to say, we won't be trying that again!

     
  • At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    tshsmom- funny story. My son's gf's mom and grandma make the tater tot hot dish. They are very protective of their "secret recipe" and have refused requests for it. And since my son and the gf really have issues with her mother, they are fixing this for a family get together this week! He was SO excited when he saw this recipe posted on the blog!

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    Glad I could help. I'd love to see the look on her face!
    I can't stand snobby people who don't share recipes. I consider it a compliment when somebody wants your recipe.

     
  • At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm looking for an old recipe for baked navy or northern beans that does NOT have molasses and is sweetened with white sugar.

     
  • At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I believe you can find a recipe for the baked beans without molasses on Belief Net.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home