THE CHURCH POTLUCK

REAL COMFORT FOOD FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST! NO SISSY STUFF! CHURCH DINNER RECIPES COLLECTED OVER 50 YEARS BY OUR MOM AND US!

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

GREEN AND GOLD SALAD

This was easily my ex-wife's best pot luck dish. It's one of those dishes the men fought over at family gatherings. In our family, it is affectionately known as "green junque"

1-#2 can crushed Pineapple
1-3oz pkg Lime Jello
2-3oz pkg Cream Cheese
1 cp Whipped Cream (or Cool Whip, Dream Whip)
3/4 cp grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 cp chopped Walnuts

Heat Pineapple to boiling point. Add Jello, stir till dissolved. Chill until partially set. Stir in remaining ingredients. Chill till set.

10 Comments:

  • At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i really like your site. i'm going to put a link to you on my blog. cheers! ann @ warm butter review

     
  • At 1:45 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    This looks like a very strange recipe. Sweet and savoury at the same time... I trust it is tasty, though, eh? If I had BETTER INTERNET I'd try to hunt down a recipe for Ambrosia for you - quintessential church putluck stuff up here. Alas, I cannot. My precious minutes must be spent doing other things on line... One day, when I have high speed, I'll look it up for you.

     
  • At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yes, this is really good..the key to this is SHARP cheddar.

     
  • At 3:18 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    Do you drain the pineapple?

     
  • At 4:01 PM, Blogger greatwhitebear said…

    do not drain the pineapple, the jello disolves in the pineapple juice!

     
  • At 5:27 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    THANKS! This sounds way better than the "green stuff" my Mom makes for EVERY family gathering!

     
  • At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hupefully, not lutefisk (although I'm not quite sure green is the right color there!)

     
  • At 10:49 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    It's white, just like all traditional Norwegian food.

     
  • At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'd love to try this but don't understand if you mix the cream cheese till smooth and then stir it in or cut it in chunks or what?

     
  • At 10:02 PM, Blogger Great White Bear, said…

    I cream the cream cheese til slightly lumpy, mix in the nuts, whipped topping and cheddar cheese, then stir it all into the jello mix until it has a cramy look to it

    Mark

     

Post a Comment

<< Home