THE CHURCH POTLUCK

REAL COMFORT FOOD FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST! NO SISSY STUFF! CHURCH DINNER RECIPES COLLECTED OVER 50 YEARS BY OUR MOM AND US!

Saturday, October 15, 2005

French Bread

I love homemade bread or rolls with soup or stew when the weather is cool. I usually make this into hard rolls topped with poppy seeds rather than loaves--or sometimes I make it into bread sticks. Bread lovers--enjoy!

7 - 7-1/4 cups flour
2 packages active dry yeast
1 tlbs sugar
1 tbls salt
1 tbls cooking oil
2-1/2 cups warm water
yellow cornmeal
1 egg white

Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water (follow temperature instructions on yeast package). Add sugar, salt, oil and remaining water. Mix in about 4 cups of the flour, and continue adding flour until dough can be turned out onto floured board or cloth and kneaded. Knead, adding flour as needed, until smooth and elastic (5-10 minutes). Let rise until double in size. Punch down and divide into four parts. Cover and let rise 10 minutes. Roll each part in a 12x8 inch rectangle. Roll into loaves and taper ends. Place seam side down on greased cookie sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Gash tops of loaves 1/2 -- 1/4 inch deep every 2-1/2 inches.

Beat egg white till foamy. Add 1 tbls water. Brush tops and sides of loaves. Let rise. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Brush again and bake 20 minutes longer.

Barb

6 Comments:

  • At 7:44 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    Mark, what's happening with your other blog? When I click on my link to it, I get a blank page!

     
  • At 9:28 PM, Blogger mister anchovy said…

    I'm getting the same thing on GWB....nada

     
  • At 9:36 PM, Blogger greatwhitebear said…

    VERY FRUSTRATING! when I try to contact Blogger, they tell me my email addresses are invalid!

    I had to do a google search to try to find an alternate way of contacting them. I found an address (blogger@trakken.com) and sent an email, but have no idea if it will work.

    If someone would like to contact blogger support on my behalf, I'd appreciate it!

     
  • At 12:15 PM, Blogger greatwhitebear said…

    Blogger problem fixed!

    Barb - this is indeed simpler than either of my recipes!

     
  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    Sometimes I wonder what kind of monkey's running the show at Blogger.

     
  • At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, don't get me stated there!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home