THE CHURCH POTLUCK

REAL COMFORT FOOD FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST! NO SISSY STUFF! CHURCH DINNER RECIPES COLLECTED OVER 50 YEARS BY OUR MOM AND US!

Friday, May 05, 2006

BANANA CAKE w/ Rum Glaze


This is one of my favorite recipes. I adapted it from a recipe in Cooking Light about 10 years ago. I'll leave a link to the original recipe, which is also excellent.

1 3/4 cp Brown Sugar, packed
2/3 cp Butter or Margarine, softened
2 lg Eggs
1 cp ripe Banana, mashed
1/2 cp Sour Cream
1 Tbls Vanilla
1 tsp Cinnamon
2 1/2 cps All Purpose Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda

Place Brown Sugar and Butter in a large bowl. Beat at med speed until light and fluffy. Add Eggs, beat until smooth.

In a separate bowl, combine Banana, Sour Cream, Vanilla, and Cinnamon. Set aside.

Sift together Flour, Baking Powder, and Baking Soda. Set aside.

With mixer on low speed, alternately add Flour mixture and Banana mixture to Sugar mixture. Pour batter into a greased 10" Tube pan. Bake at 375F for about an hour, or until toothpick comes clean. Cool in pan for 10 min, then turn out on to rack and cool completely.

GLAZE
3/4 cp Powdered Sugar
1 Tbls melted Butter
2 Tbls Dark Rum (or 1/4 tsp Rum extract plus 2 Tbls Milk)

Stir together and drizzle over cake.

This cake is just killer served with a good premium coffee! I particularly like Sumatra Mandahling or Columbia Supremo.

Original Cooking Light recipe from 1997 HERE

2 Comments:

  • At 12:12 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    I've been looking for recipes to make in my new silicon bundt pan and can't seem to find any I want to make. This looks great though, and my roommate has quite the liquor cabinet.

     
  • At 11:06 PM, Blogger tshsmom said…

    WC, let me know how you like the pan. I've been too chicken to try the silicon stuff.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home